Start date: Application review will continue until the position is filled.
Application Due: Open until filled.
Position: Postdoctoral Research Associate. 12-month appointment renewed annually based on performance and funds availability. Competitive salary with benefits.
Requisition number: R-067034
Offered by: Texas A&M Agrilife Research @ Vernon, TX
Lab supervisor: Dr. Nuria Gomez-Casanovas
Research fields: grazing lands, environmental sustainability, biogeochemistry
The Gomez-Casanovas Lab seeks a highly motivated full-time Postdoctoral Research Associate to assist the project leader (Assistant Professor in Regenerative System Ecology) in research projects related to enhancing the environmental sustainability of grazing lands.
The project aims at improving our understanding of how novel grazing management strategies (Adaptive Multipaddock Grazing) affect CO2 and H2O cycles in grasslands. The Lab combines novel lab, field and modeling experiments in a holistic way to advance science at the nexus of Food, Energy and Environmental Security. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to join a vibrant and diverse research community promoting a culture of collaboration and cross-disciplinary research. Our focus is to find answers to one of today’s grand challenges: How can we sustainably provide sufficient food as the population continues to grow while enhancing the resilience of our grazing lands?
• Design and conduct field and laboratory experiments with focus on CO2 and H2O cycles using an array of state-of-the-art scientific methods (eddy covariance, biometric, canopy/soil exchange chamber and stable isotopes).
• Supervise technicians and undergraduates.
• Coordinate research activities with a large team of collaborators.
• Present data in scientific meetings.
• Prepare manuscripts for publication.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• A Ph.D. or the equivalent in ecology, biogeochemistry, ecophysiology, soil science, or related field
• Experience with field work and laboratory
• Strong publication record in peer-reviewed journals
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Excellent English writing and oral communication skills
• Strong organizational skills
• Ability to work in a collaborative environment
• Ability to multitask
• Ability to travel/drive to research sites in South Dakota
• Basic statistical skills
DESIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Experience in quantitative approaches including eddy covariance technique as well as biometric methods, plant/soil/canopy exchange methods, stable isotopes.
• Experience working in grazing lands and with farmers.
• Ability to engage in modeling activities.
• Basic programming skills (R, Python…)
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants should upload
1) A cover letter clearly explaining your research interests/experience and suitability for the advertised position (2 pages maximum)
2) A resume or CV, and
3) Names, phone numbers and e-mail addresses for three references
The position will remain open until filled. Contact Dr. Gomez-Casanovas via email ([email protected]) with subject line ‘Postdoc_R067034’ for more information.