Starting date: Application review will continue until the position is filled.
Application Due: Open until filled.
Position: Postdoctoral Research Associate. 12-month appointment renewed annually (up to 4 years) based on performance and funds availability. Competitive salary with benefits.
Requisition number: R-064062
Offered by: Texas A&M Agrilife Research @ Vernon, TX
Lab supervisor: Dr. Nuria Gomez-Casanovas
Research fields: bioenergy, environmental sustainability, biogeochemistry
The Gomez-Casanovas Lab seeks a highly motivated full-time Postdoctoral Research Associate with interest in improving the environmental sustainability of bioenergy crops. The successful candidate will contribute to the groundbreaking research in understanding how land conversion to cane production in the Southeast US affects biogeochemical cycles. The position is funded by the Sustainability Theme in the U.S. Department of Energy-funded Bioenergy Research Center (BRC), Center for Advanced Bioenergy and Bioproducts Innovation (CABBI).
The Lab combines novel lab, field and modeling experiments in a holistic way to advance science at the nexus of Food, Energy and Environmental Security. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to join a vibrant and diverse research community (59 faculty-level Co-PIs, 184 postdocs and technicians, and 143 students) promoting a culture of collaboration and cross-disciplinary research. Our focus is to find answers to one of today’s grand challenges: How can we provide sustainable sources of energy that meet societal needs as the population continues to grow?
• Design and conduct field and laboratory experiments with focus on carbon, nitrogen and water biogeochemistry using an array of state-of-the-art scientific methods (eddy covariance, biometric, canopy/soil exchange chamber and stable isotopes).
• Supervise technicians and undergraduates.
• Coordinate research activities with a large team of collaborators.
• Present data in scientific meetings.
• Prepare manuscripts for publication.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• A Ph.D. or the equivalent in ecology, biogeochemistry, soil science, or related field
• Experience with laboratory and field work
• Strong publication record in peer-reviewed journals
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Excellent English writing and oral communication skills
• Strong organizational skills
• Ability to work in a collaborative environment
• Ability to multitask
• Ability to travel/drive to research sites in Florida and locations in the Southeast US
• Basic statistical skills
DESIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Experience in quantitative approaches including eddy covariance technique as well as stable isotope, plant/soil/canopy exchange methods.
• Experience working with bioenergy crops.
• Ability to engage in modeling activities.
• Basic programming skills (R, Python…)
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants should upload
1) A cover letter clearly explaining your research interests/experience and suitability for the advertised position (2 pages maximum)
2) A resume or CV, and
3) Names, phone numbers and e-mail addresses for three references
The position will remain open until filled. Contact Dr. Gomez-Casanovas via email ([email protected]) for more information.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer committed to diversity.
ABOUT AGRILIFE RESEARCH
Texas A&M AgriLife Research is the state’s premier research and technology development agency in agriculture, natural resources, and the life sciences. We conduct hundreds of projects spanning many scientific disciplines to deliver life-sustaining and industry-changing impacts to Texans and around the world. We are a state agriculture agency part of Texas A&M AgriLife, which allows us to fund research across many fields.
• Scientific excellence
• Exemplary public service